Unique Student Identifier or USI. What is it, and why do you need it?
The USI initiative will:
- Seamlessly link information about a student's VET achievements, regardless of where they studied
- Enable students to easily access secure digital transcripts of their achievements
- Give students access to, and more control over, their educational information
Benefits of the USI initiativeCurrently, it is not possible for students to obtain a complete record of their VET enrolments and achievements from a single online source. This is inconvenient not only for students and employers, but can also make it more difficult for training organisations to assess pre-requisites, credit transfer and Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). Incomplete data about access to and use of the VET sector also inhibits the development of evidence-based VET programs. There will be significant benefits for training organisations resulting from the introduction of the USI. For example, the USI initiative will enable students to provide training providers with access to an online authenticated record of student attainment. This will assist with the recording of enrolment details and will help to streamline the assessment of course prerequisites, credit transfer and the assessment of eligibility for funding assistance. In the longer term, training organisations will benefit from longitudinal data on course completions which will inform the development of future VET sector policy initiatives. The USI initiative will serve as a building block for a range of VET reforms by providing accurate and comprehensive information about students' training achievements and movements within the VET system. Students, training organisations, employers, and governments will all benefit from the USI in some way.
Applying for a USI
The USI scheme is free. The USI Office does not charge a fee for individuals creating their USI and maintaining their USI account, which will bring together their records of nationally recognised training completed after 1 January 2015.
Individuals can create their USI for free by themselves. It is a quick and easy process and will only take a few minutes of your time. Or if you like you can learn more about the steps to create a USI below.
- Driver’s Licence
- Medicare Card (this includes a current family Medicare card where your name is included)
- Australian Passport
- Visa (with Non-Australian Passport) for international students
- Birth Certificate (Australian) *please note a Birth Certificate extract is not sufficient
- Certificate Of Registration By Descent
- Citizenship Certificate